Steel Magnolias 30th Anniversary (1989) presented by TCM
Find Movie Theaters & Showtimesfor
Videos & Photos
Movie Info & Cast
- Sally Field
- Dolly Parton
- Shirley MacLaine
- Daryl Hannah
- Olympia Dukakis
- Julia Roberts
- Tom Skerritt
- Sam Shepard
- Dylan McDermott
- Kevin J. O'Connor
Did You Know?
- Shot in the small Louisiana town of Natchitoches. Reportedly, the filmmakers made so many demands of the locals, particularly those who volunteered to be extras, that when The Man in the Moon (1991) was shot in the same town, extras were very hard to find.
- When the ladies are in Truvy's shop before Shelby's wedding talking about recipes, Shelby alternates between applying lipstick and having her hands in her lap between shots.
- Clairee: I've just been to the dedication of the new children's park.
- Truvy: Yeah, how did that go?
- Clairee: Janice Van Meter got hit with a baseball. It was fabulous.
- Truvy: Was she hurt?
- Clairee: I doubt it. She got hit in the head.
Atom User Reviews
One of my absolute favorite movies. Absolutely ecstatic that I was able to see it in theaters!
30 years later and I still love this movie better than I love my luggage
No use fighting it. this laugh-getting, tear-jerking, part-affecting, part-appalling display of audience manipulation is practically critic-proof...The result can best be described as shamelessly entertaining.
The principal pleasure of the movie is in the ensemble work of the actresses, as they trade one-liners and zingers and stick together and dish the dirt. Steel Magnolias is willing to sacrifice its over-all impact for individual moments of humor, and while that leaves us without much to take home, you've got to hand it to them: The moments work.
MacLaine grabbing Dukakis by the bangs, shoving her head back with a sneering “Have your roots done,” radiates more feminine fellowship than a dozen sisterhoods of the travelling pants. Not bad for a movie that alternates the tragedy of dying young and beautiful against the comedy of growing old and bitter.